With everything technical – be it your computer, smartphone and now website – backups are extremely important. Accidents and failures happen – this is part of life. Sometimes as a result of our own carelessness and other times totally outside of our control. Your website features carefully crafted content and style. This investment cost your business time and money. Backing up your website is critical to ensure that whatever happens, your investment is safe. Let’s find out how you can do just that.
Option 1: Exporting all the content from your site
Thanks to the powerful world-leading WordPress platform built in tools can assist. Exporting allows you to download a copy of posts, pages, comments, custom fields, terms, navigation menus, and custom posts. You should back up valuable content regularly. And it will help if you ever need to migrate the information on your site that customers need to a new platform.
- Log into your websites back end control panel
- Select ‘Tools’ on the left
- From the submenu under tools, choose ‘Export’
- Ensure the ‘All content’ radio button is selected
- Click ‘Download Export File’ and wait for the file to download
You will be able to upload this to a new WordPress website. However, this approach only backs up the content on your site. What if you need a backup to protect from a total failure or loss of your entire site? See the next option below.
Option 2: Restoring from SiteGround Backups
The complete every-aspect of your website backup option. SiteGround, the web hosting company for websites I build, automatically backs up your site daily. If you find you need to restore to an earlier version of your website follow the below steps.
- Log into your SiteGround web hosting panel
- Click ‘Websites’ from the top of the page
- Choose ‘Site Tools’
- Click ‘Security’ on the left sidebar
- Click ‘Backups’
- Choose a date for a period of time which you need to revert to
- Click the three dot menu on the right and choose ‘Restore All Files and Databases’
- Complete the process on screen until confirmation of the restore is complete
- Your website is now rolled back to a previous backup state
SiteGround’s backup restore is a great way to undo any mistakes or errors that you might have accidentally done when managing your website. SiteGround offers this automatic daily backup for your peace of mind. It’s one of the many great features you’ll benefit from when working with me on your business website. If you need help with any of the above or assistance in restoring your site to an earlier state, get in touch with me via the details in the Clients Area. Or if you’re interested in working with me to build the website your company deserves, talk to me today.